Cristiano Ronaldo is considering ruling himself out of Al-Nassr’s upcoming Saudi Pro League clash with Al-Riyadh as frustration continues to build over the direction of the club, according to reports in Portugal.
The 40-year-old, who remains central to Al-Nassr’s title ambitions, is said to be unhappy behind the scenes ahead of Monday’s Riyadh derby, raising doubts over whether he will feature despite being available.
Early suggestions pointed to workload management as the reason for a potential absence, with Ronaldo no longer expected to play every minute at club and international level. However, those claims have since been dismissed, with reports insisting the issue is not related to fitness or rotation.
Instead, Portuguese outlet A Bola reports that Ronaldo’s dissatisfaction stems from how Al-Nassr are being managed by the Public Investment Fund, particularly when compared to the support shown to rival clubs also under the same ownership umbrella.
The timing is sensitive for Al-Nassr, who are chasing the league leaders and preparing for a high-profile meeting with defending champions Al-Ittihad later in the week. Ronaldo’s presence is viewed as vital in both fixtures as the title race intensifies.
At the heart of the issue is a lack of squad investment. Head coach Jorge Jesus has received minimal backing during the winter window, with 21-year-old Iraqi midfielder Haydeer Abdulkareem the club’s only signing so far. Ronaldo is reportedly concerned that this inactivity is undermining the team’s competitiveness.
Off the pitch, internal restructuring has added to the tension. Sporting director Simao Coutinho and CEO Jose Semedo, both Portuguese and close to Ronaldo, have allegedly had their decision-making powers reduced following a board intervention earlier this month.
Ronaldo’s concerns also extend beyond Al-Nassr. He is said to oppose a potential move that would see former Real Madrid teammate Karim Benzema join Al-Hilal from Al-Ittihad, believing it would distort competitive balance within the league. Despite those objections, talks over the deal are understood to be ongoing.
This is not the first time Ronaldo has publicly aligned himself with criticism of the Saudi Pro League’s power structure. In January, he backed comments from Jorge Jesus suggesting that Al-Nassr lack the political influence enjoyed by Al-Hilal, remarks that later prompted a formal complaint from the league leaders.
Ronaldo remains under contract at Al-Nassr until 2027 and continues to be one of the league’s most influential figures, both on and off the pitch. Saudi Pro League officials are keen to avoid further unrest, aware that any prolonged dispute involving their biggest global star could have wider consequences for the competition’s image and momentum.