Which sports can you bet under/over on?
An increasingly popular form of betting is over/under betting. This bet is most commonly used in conjunction with how many goals will be scored in a match.
Let’s take a football game as an example. Ajax plays against Feyenoord. The online bookmakers are offering odds on whether the match will end with a total of over 2.5 goals scored (3 goals or more) or with a total of under 2.5 goals scored. (2 goals or less).
If you bet that the match will end with 2.5 goals or more and at least 3 goals are scored, you win. If 2 goals or less are scored, you lose the bet. The goals of both teams are lumped together, so it doesn’t matter who scores, as long as goals are scored.
Just to be clear:
- You bet on more than 0.5 goals (To win the bet a minimum of 1 goal must be scored.)
- You bet on less than 0.5 goals (No goal may be scored to win the bet.)
- You bet on more than 1.5 goals (A minimum of 2 goals must be scored to win the bet.)
- You bet on less than 1.5 goals (A maximum of 1 goal can be scored to win the bet.)
- You bet on more than 2.5 goals (A minimum of 3 goals must be scored to win the bet.
- You bet on less than 2.5 goals (A maximum of 2 goals can be scored to win the bet.)
Which sports can you bet under/over on?
This type of over betting can be applied to most sports. For example, you can bet on how many points and will be scored in an NBA basketball game, in a Rugby Party, or the number of goals scored in a hockey game, you can even bet on the total number of games played in a tennis game.
In recent years, the total number of over/under bets has increased. That’s because the average punter is getting better and better and has learned that over/under bets are just as good as the standard 1×2 bet. In football, in addition to the number of goals, you can also bet on the number of corners, yellow cards and red cards. This expansion of the betting offer with regard to over/under bets can be seen in all sports.
As an example you can now bet on whether a tennis match will end with less/more of a certain number of games, or whether there will be more or less free throws in a basketball game. We see that not only the professional punters make a lot of use of these bets but also the hobbyists and those who really only play for fun. That makes sense because you can quickly earn a lot of money with it !
What to watch out for when betting on over/under bets
Most people who start betting on sports often focus on betting on match results, the win, lose, draw bet (1×2). This is normal as it is what everyone knows, but after a while most online punters broaden their horizons and eventually end up betting on over/under goals or total points. The half-time/full-time bet is also becoming more and more popular.
We have listed 3 tips for you that you should pay attention to if you want to place the under / over bet:
1. Recent Form – Yes recent form is important, but it’s not as important as people think, at least if you want to beat the odds. Time and again, we see players basing themselves on what a team has been up to in the last 3 or 4 weeks.
Yes, a club may have scored a lot of goals/points in the last few weeks, but does this really give a good indication of a team’s real scoring potential? No not really.
To find out a team’s real scoring potential, you have to study a much longer period of time. See how many goals they have scored in the last 20 games or more. That depends a bit on the sports and competition.
So pay attention to the recent form, but also look at the longer term, so you can bet on over/under goals.
2. Don’t get overconfident – Don’t think you’ve outsmarted the bookmakers, always bet only on the basic 2.5 goals under/over bet. This is where the value can be found and therefore profit in the long term.
Bookmakers will offer high odds for more than 4.5 goals, but in the long run it’s smarter to focus on the 2.5 goals more/less bet. However, you can take a gamble every now and then if you are really sure, if you have analyzed everything well and of course you stick to your bankroll management .
3. Always consider the situation – Analyzing the situation is important when betting on more/less. Look closely at how competing teams have performed in similar situations.
When a certain club is a serious underdog during an away game, do they score a lot or just a little? When they play against really worse opponents, do they like Barcelona in La Liga want to score as many goals as possible, or do they play like Atletico Madrid and do just enough to win?
Don’t just look at the trends of the particular clubs playing the game, try to look deeper and find trends that affect the entire league. Will more goals be scored at the beginning, middle or end of the competition?
Has Real Madrid signed a new high-scoring striker, how much will Real Madrid score after Cristiano Ronaldo leaves?